Thursday, June 7, 2012


This film was released all the way back in 1988, and is one of Miyazaki's first animated features. As it turns out, he has always had the gift! My Neighbour Totoro is simply splendid.

The scenes with the delightful Cat Bus are some of the most meaningful and enjoyable chase scenes I've ever seen.

I say this every time I speak about Miyazaki, but it's a sin to not mention the flawlessly drawn animations. Fortunately, for you, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

One of my favourite rain scenes EVER! This film is just too good.


I shan't bore you with the plot, because, well, there really is no point. It's not about what you think, but rather what you feel. Miyazaki's works have a special place in my heart because they never fail to capture the innocence and beauty of life, and I think this masterpiece does it best. The visuals transport us to the gorgeous countryside, and occasionally exude an ominous air; of course, this unsettling feeling is neatly wrapped away before the film's sweet denouement.



Our ever so adorable heroines!


So, naturally, the film makes me feel liberated and spiritually enlightened without choking me. The respect that the characters pay each other and their environment is truly endearing. If characters in horror films acted a little more like this, perhaps more of them would survive!

Yet another scene I shall cherish. SO ADORABLE!


Anyway, in the words of our lovable, brave little heroine Satsuki, My Neighbour Totoro is a *weird, mysterious, spectacular* experience. So, sit back, relax and enjoy a genius' innovations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment