Friday, July 6, 2012


I really don't want to play this terrible pun, but Andrew Garfield is a truly AMAZING Spider-Man; this film is, by a massive margin, my favourite Spider-Man film. 

From the very start, we all knew that the cast would be great. Garfield has more than proven himself with his charismatic portrayal of a dorky Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network; and his turn as an ill-fated, melancholy hero in Never Let Me Go is simply unforgettable. Then again, nothing about that deeply depressing film is forgettable. Emma Stone stole my soul with Easy A, and since then she has yet to disappoint.

 Garfield illustrates an anguished, tortured hero rather than a cartoon-like caricature, whilst Stone is absolutely admirable as an intelligent, resourceful heroine. She is no damsel-in-distress.

Parker likes to play rough...

The leads are stunningly attractive, and they have  *explosive* chemistry (no inside joke intended) what more could I ask for? The supporting cast is a strong one, so I shan't bore you with praises for each and every performance. However, I have to recognise the brilliance in casting Sally Fields as Aunt May, the woman oozes maternal warmth and we can't help but adore her. Putting Academy-Award winners in action blockbusters, excellent move!

Too sweet for speech.

The script is exceedingly creative, well, it exceeds my initial expectations. The issue is: this film is not just a reboot, it's also a re-imagining of the Spider-Man origin story. With its smart twists and turns, and witty characterisation, the script is able to breath new life and thrills to this old plot. I especially love the characters' interaction, good dialogue never bores. It helps when the writer has humour and heart; I can't guarantee this, but it seems that everyone on the project is insanely passionate about Spidey. That's essentially the best compliment I could give. 

Haven't seen such an entertaining train scene in a long while.

Aside from conversational scenes, the director shows an even clearer vision with the adrenaline-pumping action sequences. I only have two conditions for these scenes; they are fast enough to raise my blood pressure, but are coherent enough to entice me. In short, the director shows deadly, precise camera-work. The scenes where Spidey swings from building to building are exciting and easy to follow. What I cherish about this Spidey is that he doesn't simply rescue those in distress, but rather encourage their inner heroes. Of course, I'm referring to the bridge scene and, well, you will have to see it. 

Spidey, also, doesn't mind playing rough. Just ask the Lizard, who is actually a decent villain, not  that it really matters anymore.

Okay, I have blabbed for too long. The verdict is... I give this film a solid...

9/10

Andrew Garfield is one sexy dork, and I really appreciate the script's simple, yet crucial incorporation of mobile phones. Sometimes, all that it takes is a phone call. Note to self: pick up your phone once in a while.

P.S. STILL working on prometheus. UGH. This is too hard. Love y'all. 







0 comments:

Post a Comment