Monday, August 15, 2011

An alluring/seductive adaptation of the novel.


It's a shame that this film has only raked in thirteen million dollars at the box office; I feel that this adaptation of Jane Eyre could be somewhat mainstream. It's directed with a fiery, modern touch and yet manages to seduce us with the authenticity of a by-gone era. The cinematography and set-designs are not gloriously beautiful, but rather naturally beautiful. I mean, you could examine all the features of the gothic castle without feeling as though your eyes are under attack (that's the best way I can describe it, don't understand? GO WATCH IT YOURSELF... not online, at the CINEMAS... yeah remember that place with... I digress).


The casting is simply superb. Dame Judi Dench is perfect as the hospitable housekeeper, who I reckon has a bit of a 'crush' on Mr. Rochester, but who can blame her. This great performance paints not ONLY a chirpy, old English housekeeper, but rather a faithful servant with true HUMAN desires and concerns. Marvellous.

Mia Wasikowska (made in Australia), you'll remember her as the leading lady of Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland, is quite likeable as Jane. She isn't radiantly gorgeous and the make-up in this film makes her 'plain', as it should be, but she seems quite intelligent... her eyes subtly hint the vulnerability charactersistic of a mistreated orphan. Her popularity, inside-joke- makes perfect sense. Some people, I can't remember who, think she's not passionate enough as Jane, just because she's not melodramatic, it doesn't mean that her dialogue/portrayal lacks emotions.... in fact, on the contrary, she hits the dramatic arc.


Anyway, to my favourite feature of the film... MICHAEL FASSBENDER as the peculiar Mr. Rochester. He is simply dreamy. He is so DREAMY! I could barely breathe in some scenes. His eyes and his deep, warm voice... oh that gaze! I'm dying, yes I am!!! His sarcastic/hurtful lines are well delivered, his corny lines are seriously delivered, yes, you may laugh, but you NEVER doubt his sincerity... his ROMANTIC lines... I mean Mia Wasikowska deserves some sort of award for her ability to not faint in these scenes! I mean I'm absolutely jealous of her, but they have EXPLOSIVE chemistry... okay, no spoilers...


Another accessible feature of this adaptation is its wonderful sense of humour ,sometimes, not necessarily intentional. I'll let you find out for yourself.

To conclude, the film hints a 'darker' side [to it], but never trails into this rocky path, and risk falling into the genre of MELODRAMA. Oh ALMOST FORGOT! Final praise for the director, he knows exactly what this film should be, and when the film's creepy/eerie atmosphere loses its effect, he casually tosses it in the trash (unlike some... *cough cough* SHUTTER ISLAND... I'm kidding, sort of, I haven't finished watching it). This adaptation is as accessible to the audience as the great new show DOWNTON ABBEY ... maybe even more so, as Jane Eyre has an undeniable fire that compels us (no pun intended, although not a bad pun).

P.S. You can see that I've included MANY photos; it's obvious that I'm one of the film's advertisers (KIDDING... wish I was).

0 comments:

Post a Comment