Tuesday, August 2, 2011


YES, I am aware that CHICAGO was released way back in 2002 (prior to the loss of my innocence... long story), but I NEED TO REVIEW THIS MUSICAL. YES, I love it THAT much! MOULIN ROUGE! is the only other musical film in the same league, of course I haven't seen Cabaret, the Sound of Music and Mary Poppins... MY GOD, shame on me. Dream Girls... delightful, love Jennifer Hudson, but er... not in the same league.

ANYWAY, this review is all about CHICAGO! As per usual, I will first praise/trash the cast. This cast is DIVINE, SUPREME and ALL THAT JAZZ. Renee Zellweger is perfect as the 'pretty blonde' who is obsessed/infatuated with fame and 'performing'; it's sad that I can intimately connect with her... only says too much about me, hehe. Richard Gere is SPOT ON as the cocky and manipulative lawyer and the sexy CATHERINE ZETA JONES is only too great as the one and only VELMA KELLY (no wonder she won an oscar for this role). Queen Latifah's pitch perfect (in everyway) delivery of 'When You're Good To Mama' deserves a special mention; oh she is definitely the "biggest mother hen"!


The musical numbers and the choreography truly set the BENCHMARK for musicals; exciting and, when appropriate, sombre. The film simultaneously illustrates Chicago, circa 1924, and Roxie's (Zellweger) glamourised version of life; the great thing is that in both worlds, life is fickle and no one can independently scab more than fifteen minutes of fame... it seems things never change.

The costumes are beautiful and the cinematography pleasures and seduces the eyes. Oh almost forgot, John C. Reilly's rendition of 'Mister Cellophane' succintly conveys his humiliation and vulnerability; it is indeed effective acting. I think that's why I love this film, it is able to mesmerise us with the sparkles, but touches us (not in a weird way, well... I digress) as it emphasises the vulnerability that lives within each and everyone of us. Even the glamorous Velma Kelly has her moments of 'ripped stocking' (no, not in a good way). The line 'nothing stays in fifty years or so it's gonna change, you know', from the wonderfully catchy song NOWADAYS, pin-points the film's message - life is fragile and ever-changing. Yes, APPRECIATE IT!



Taye Diggs' occasional commentary (in Roxie's version of life, where she perceives life as an on-going act... I hope I'm CLEAR) is a nice touch, reminds me of the 'master of ceremonies' in Cabaret... yes I've at least seen the trailer.

Bottom line: before you rush out to LEGALLY rent/purchase the OFFICIAL DVD, be prepared to be RAZZLE DAZZLED!

P.S. please do take notice of my the song titles that I implemented as part of my review!

1 comments:

  1. One of the movies I've wanted to watch but never got around to...

    Must put off until after trials though ... ):

    ReplyDelete