Sunday, August 14, 2011



Yes, I know I KNOW that everyone has seen the DARK KNIGHT, loves it and worships CHRIS NOLAN. Point is, it's the best film yet in the BATMAN franchise! Was it nominated for Oscars? Of course. Was it nominated for Best Picture? WHY NOT?

It was a VERY TIGHT YEAR; you know it's crowded when CHANGELING and DOUBT weren't even nominated for Best Picture. Even in the Best Actress category, it was crowded. Of course it was really down to Kate Winslet (The Reader) and Angelina Jolie (Changeling), not that Meryl Streep's portrayal of a strict Catholic nun wasn't pitch perfect (I'm serious, I've seen DOUBT a million times... it's amazing). I haven't seen Melissa Leo's FROZEN RIVER and Anne Hathaway's RACHEL GETTING MARRIED, but their performances look quite riveting. POINT IS, crowded year, and guess who won... SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (BOO)! I'm sorry but I've never 'warmed' up to that film, and CHANGELING is one of my all time favourites (but it wasn't... I DIGRESS). Point is (I keep drifting off the darn point, gosh), I thought BENJAMIN BUTTON should've won. PERIOD.

Back to my ORIGINAL POINT, The Dark Knight missed out (as many other great films did). After that year, the Oscars extended its Best Picture's nominees list to 10 slots (instead of 5), but now they're changing the rules again. So poor Harry Potter may not be able steal a nomination, BUT I SWEAR TO GOD IF ALAN RICKMAN ISN'T NOMINATED... good air in, bad air out.

Anyway, this POST is about the greatness of THE DARK KNIGHT. Since everyone has seen it, I'd like to highlight three things that affected ME most (I'm egocentric that way... suck it up)!


Heath Ledger's (R.I.P) performance as the maniacal JOKER is simply perfect. He lives to see the world burn, and aside from the make-up and those lips *shudder* you can SEE the FIRE in his eyes. Ledger truly embodies this crazy clown, and him wearing a NURSE's uniform... too funny. Even his accent is in character and the way he enunciates words... and how could I forget, his forced laugh 'oh hee ha ha oh hee'. I'm glad that Oscar went to him or I would have to write a whole other post to express my... 'displeasure'.

The scene of the two ferries restored my hope in humanity, what little hope the film's 'terrifying' atmosphere had initally SQUASHED.



Lastly (OF COURSE), the wonderfully shot action scenes. Chris Nolan has a REAL talent for filming adrenaline-inducing action scenes, his chase scenes are quite authentic and thus VERY enjoyable. I mean when I watched it last night, I had to STAND and watch (when it came to these scenes). The Batmobile and all those gears... they never lose their lustre do they? I think that's why Batman is my favourite superhero. Needless to say, the cast is superb. Especially since they replaced Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhal, thank god or I would have had to simultaneously watch and vomit. Oh Heath Ledger WOW, oh Katie Holmes WHERE'S MY BAG? I NEED A BAG!

P.S. I don't care what people say, CHRISTIAN BALE is the perfect batman. Why? Have you seen him with a shirt off (and not just that)? Point is, if the new Batman film (coming out next year?) is just as great, I'll be very very VERY pleased.

0 comments:

Post a Comment