Sunday, August 28, 2011




Yes, this is the August instalment of the PSYCHO PROJECT. This month I will discuss Angelina Jolie's LISA ROWE (Girl, Interrupted). The film is quite good and [thought] provocative, but Angelina Jolie steals the spotlight and the audience simply waits and yearns for HER compelling presence. I'm not sure if Lisa Rowe is really insane or psychotic, but she is wild and too truthful (yes, lies are necessary sometimes). Let's say she has an affair with INSANITY and she lives on the edge, but we can't help but be absolutely enthralled by this lifer. She loves attention, but can you blame her???



 Of course ANGELINA JOLIE won an Oscar for this fascinating role; she was born to embody Lisa Rowe. Actually she's excellent with these 'extreme' characters (GIA is amazing). Anyway, this character has GREAT quotes [and since she wears her heart on her sleeve, her quotes tell us EVERYTHING], and here are the EXTRA SPECIAL ONES:

"You know, there's too many buttons in the world. There's too many buttons and they're just- There's way too many just begging to be pressed,they're just begging to be pressed,you know? They're just - they're just begging to be pressed, and it makes me wonder, it really makes me f****** wonder, why doesn't anyone ever press mine? Why am I so neglected? Why doesn't anyone reach in and rip out the truth and tell me that I'm a f****** whore, or that my parents wish I were dead?"



Quite the potty mouth isn't she? Another reason why Angelina Jolie is perfect, her swearing is indescribably expressive and effective.

"Help me understand, Dais 'cause, I thought you didn't do Valium. Tell me how this safety net is working for you. Tell me that you don't take that blade and drag it across your skin and pray for the courage to press down. Tell me how your *daddy* helps you cope with that. Illuminate me."

"Playing the villain, baby, just like you want. I try to give you everything you want."

"You wanted your file, I found you your file. You wanted out, I got you out. You needed *money*, *I* found you some. I'm f****** consistent-I told you the truth-I didn't write it down in a *f****** book*! I told you to your *face*. And I told Daisy to her face - what everybody knew and wouldn't say, and she killed herself. And I played the f****** villain, just like you wanted."

"Look, she gave your husband a rim job. Big f*****' deal! I'm sure he was begging for it, and I heard it was like a pencil anyway."


OKAY I think that's enough. Even if she isn't TRULY psychotic, she sure does ACT it. At the very least, she wants to pretend as though she is as CRAZY as they come, it's a great way to attract attention. I would know.

 She is a breath of fresh air that we are afraid to inhale, but we're too captivated to turn away. She's naturally intimidating and we fear her, especially in the scene where she chases Susanna (Winona Ryder) OR the one where she jams the door [with a chair] and attacks Susanna... is it wrong that I find her somewhat inspirational? Only a GREAT actress could make the audience admire (rather than just PITY or FEAR) Lisa Rowe, and yet Angelina Jolie DOES NOT have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Who's the insane one? HUH?

P.S. Watch GIA. Hauntingly beautiful and beautifully haunting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment