Friday, May 17, 2013

Hello readers!
My, my, have I missed blogging. 


What a week it has been!? I have been waiting and waiting - day after day - for some exploitable spare time and much needed perspective. Aptly named, this installment is a loving tribute to my roaring hero Angelina Jolie. 


As a critic, however amateurish, I endeavour to remain objective, which means I am barred from playing *favourites* and - with le cinema's enormous sky of goddesses - there is really no need to play such a game. Alas, I am human - the heart wants what it wants - and I love her. 

Jolie is a creature of bewildering intrigue and wonderment. Her screen presence compels me so effortlessly, so naturally, and I am constantly entranced by not only her radiant beauty, but more so by her aura. Words, or at least my weaving of them, cannot adequately describe her. However, in his review of Girl, Interrupted (2000), the late literary genius Roger Ebert - may he rest in peace - has most succinctly pin-pointed her position in the world of films. 

"Jolie is emerging as one of the great wild spirits of current movies, a loose cannon who somehow has deadly aim."

With this post, I simply wish to relive the most unforgettable detonations of this loose cannon.   

Gia (1998) 

This beautifully haunting made-for-television biopic paints the portrait of the late model Gia Marie Carangi. It was one of Angelina's first breakthrough performances, and won her a SAG as well as a second Golden Globe. 

In so many ways, this role was perfect for the 23 year old Jolie. Gia was the fresh blood that so naturally inspired and excited photographers. A magnetic and enigmatic star. Now, I don't know how well Jolie personally relates to Gia's parental issues or reckless self-harm - unfortunately, we do not lunch every spare Friday - but every expressed emotion seems too real.

 They are both gorgeous women, but distinctly so, and yet Jolie's delivery evokes the authentic rawness and vulnerability that made Gia so darn appealing to photograph. 


With every shot, Jolie disappears into this character, and as Gia's fairy tale spins into a rusting train wreck, the audience is entirely captivated. Wrapped around her fingers. From the flamboyant poses, gestures, and playful cheek to the screaming fits and lonely moments of solitude, Jolie brings every nuance of this persona to life. We no longer care that - yet again - it's one pretty girl playing the part of another pretty girl. We only care for her and we, too, feel the pain that is well beyond skin-deep. Gia was many things, but strip away the layers and she is just a girl, who wanted nothing more than to be loved and protected

This post is wearing out its welcome, so I shall cover the other three deadly precise detonations in future posts. Separate posts. 

Thanks for checking the blog even when I neglected to write for months on end. 
Love y'all. Truly. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment