Saturday, May 18, 2013

Meredith, knowing that she shall fall unconscious in less than a minute, instructs her intern and calms him as he operates on her. My, my, Ellen Pompeo rocks it! 

Greetings everyone! 

Surely, in time past, I have revealed my religious and cultish following of Grey's Anatomy, and although its 9th season is a bit of a hit and miss, the 9th season finale is simply and superbly perfect.

Dedicated to my people. 

First up, I'd like to say that this is not an episode recap, because I do not do plot outlines. Many critics, especially TV critics, do it because fandoms love to debate over plot points and play the good old prediction game. I suppose that's one of TV's advantage over the big screen, the engagement - if conducted  masterfully - may be intense as well as prolonged.

Anyway, to each his own. Being an aspiring marketing major, I like to price a product based on the value it delivers. 

The high it induces. The thrill it enforces, and the thoughts it stirs. 


Recently, Grey's Anatomy has been renewed for a tenth season. Even though it is nearing its timely denouement, the show is still raking solid ratings. I thank human nature for this. As a writer - I hope I can at least claim that fact - I see Grey's as a social experiment. Shonda Rhimes places her intriguing and perplexing characters into deathly situations, and let them react. Fortunately, she has an extraordinary cast, which includes the always on-point Sandra Oh, to deliver the emotions that are just right! 

They are unpredictable enough to shock you, but not quite alienate you. The show has, really, rehashed some very similar situations, and yet every time the emotions are taken afresh. That is the beauty - one of the few - of us Homo sapiens.

I, too, need to accommodate my female viewers. Plus, it's an in interesting shot. Great dynamics.

 Shonda's only issue is introducing too many new characters at once. When the original cast has such a layered and established relationship with the audience, new characters - like explosive situations - should simply be stimuli and not things that waste valuable screen time. I digress - this isn't Writing101.

This episode is Grey's at one of its peaks. The physical thrill parallels its emotional punch, and you become entirely absorbed by this world and these people. For that forty minutes, it's no longer fictional because the fourth wall is completely shattered. I'm sorry if this is sounding more and more like Writing1001, but that is exactly and precisely magnificent story telling. 

Love y'all. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment