Sunday, December 16, 2012


Not so pitch perfect, but it sure is formula-perfect.


This film left me feeling underwhelmed and disappointed. I was not expecting phenomenal plot pivots or profound epiphanies, but this film was to be my refreshment - a palate cleanser before I view and review a string of serious dramas. This film is tired and uninspired; I was expecting a burst of energy, but the film's restlessness is just entirely draining. I'm starting to think that desires and disappointment are complementary, then again, such is life!


Anna Kendrick is adorable, sweet and somewhat edgy, so naturally, she ends up with a perfectly dull guy.

The choreography and A Capella are good; some of the harmonies and vocal remixes are actually quite interesting and pleasing, but there is nothing new. The film plays it safe; there is no WOW factor and there are not enough laughs in the film to make up for its pitfalls. We all knew that the plot would be predictable, so I shall not discuss that, but I have to discredit the casting of the leading man. He lacks both the presence and attractiveness to stand as the protagonist's love interest, and in general, he is irritating and not very believable or lovable as a quirky geek.

Ahem, aside from his sculptured core, he also has a smooth British accent; perhaps the film, contrary to its myopic vision, is endeavouring to embrace "inner beauty". My advice: don't make inner beauty compete with THAT!

To make matters worse, the script introduces an extremely attractive and arrogant British DJ as a possible love-interest - making our *leading man* seem all the more feeble. A leading man that does not have the empathy or sympathy of the audience is indeed a useless figure. Honestly, I know that she is fated to finish his duet, but every time the British DJ speaks or flashes his abdominal muscles the vision of beautiful DJ babies flashes across my mind. Thankfully, the other cast members are at least bearable if not likable.

"I'm horizontal running." Believe it or not, this is not as humorous as her "now, vertical running!"

In the midst of this mediocre mess, the film finds its saving grace in the "fat heart" of Rebel Wilson. She is wildly refreshing and shockingly entertaining, I cherish every moment of her screen time. With her perfect comic timing and radiant smile, she injects the perfect balance of attitude, pizzazz and -when appropriate- sincerity into her performance, and we can't help but fall in love with her. Without Fat Amy, I would give this film a rating below 0, but with her it's a 6. She's a 12! I'd finish her like a cheesecake. 

Beauty is pain.

"You call yourself 'Fat Amy'?"—"Yeah, so tweaked bitches like you don't do it behind my back!" She is raucous, overtly truthful and is stunningly compelling. Just in case I have yet to adequately express it, she dominates every scene she is in; it's as though she and Angelina had an uninterrupted phone call about scene-stealing. Although humour is central to her role, Wilson's earnest portrayal ensures that the character is not just a wacky caricature. So whilst the plot never thickens, her characterisation surely does; she knocks the shallow vision of the film, and reminds us of the importance of embracing your "fat heart". 

P.S. Superficial or not, I still love y'all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment