Tuesday, August 14, 2012


With the names Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, Robbie Coltrane consecutively flashed across the screen, could you blame me for feeling Potter-nostalgia? Oh yes, and to top it all, Mike Newell is at the helm of production; for those who aren't Potter experts, I don't know why you wouldn't be, he directed The Goblet of Fire. Then again, he also directed Prince of Persia, but we shall overlook that.


I am a fan of Charles Dicken, I have read and re-read A Christmas Carol countless times, and I had a minute supporting role in a school production of Oliver! Yes, it was the highlight of my career. Away from the limelight of [my] life, Mike Newell gives us his modern take on the classic Great Expectations. The trailer brags a beautifully haunting, gothic setting, and the unnerving score and shades of grey promise endless intrigue. The mysterious crime-esque element never fails to compel me, especially when coupled with broad artistic strokes and shots that caress expansive horizons.


I actually haven't read Great Expectations. Oops, shouldn't have said that, now everyone will think I have retired my Charles Dicken obsession for badly written erotica. Anyway, I simply wish to share this new trailer with you all, and express my delight in the casting. If you don't cast Helena Bonham Carter as the creepy, lonely, vengeful old bride, then you should be taken out back, and beaten with volumes of Dickens.

I despise being cliche, but now I have some rather Great Expectations. Love y'all.

An actually creepy shot of Ms. Havisham, the other one makes her seem a little too calm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment