Tuesday, April 19, 2011


I hear the OSCARS calling... actually, NO, I don't!

Yes, of course, the animated film is doing exceptionally well at the box office (as most typical big budget animated films do). Notice the word 'typical'.
The first half(?) of the film is original and very entertaining. So original and witty, in fact, that I really did hear the OSCARS singing. Illegal bird catchers in Rio... doesn't get much more shady (and hence fascinating than that). The voice-cast is simply excellent, especially the quirky tone of Jesse Eisenberg and the sweet (and feisty-perhaps she'll be a good catwoman after all) voice of Anne Hathaway. Likewise, the vocals are spot-on and the songs are festive and exciting. Needless to say, the animation is magnificent.

Side note: if Rio really does look like that, I am going there ASAP!

Now, now... what annoys me? The relentless action, which does carry the fast pace of the film gets rather tiring and... lame(?). It becomes restless and well... typical and unoriginal. This film could have been SO MUCH MORE if the studio didn't play safe, which forced this exciting film into the rigid frame of the romantic-comedy-esque animated. Seriously, I don't care about the humans-we see enough of them in LIFE, why not focus on the rare and elegant BLUE MACAWS? That's probably the problem with the film, it has to carry the weight of two rather interesting story lines, but the birds are more stimulating and colourful (literally) BY FAR.

Nevertheless, it is a decent animated film for the family (my little cousin LOVED it). I liked it, I guess... 7/10 is the lowest that I could give it... yeah... 7.

0 comments:

Post a Comment