Wednesday, January 23, 2019



Cold War, surprise nominations for both Best Director AND Cinematography. Blessed be the Oscars.


Finally, the nominations for the 91st Academy Awards have been announced and I am... somewhat relieved. 

This awards season has had me trippin', so thank you Oscar! You have always been able to restore my faith, even if just partially, at the pointy end.

Here is a full list from rogerebert.com, and below are my highlights:

Best Director:



Surprise Delight: Cold War is nominated, and guess what is not... that's right - A Star is Born. 


Cold War: A film that cuts through time to capture the key moments of a propulsive, lasting love. Poignant and, well, cutting. Possibly the most striking use of 85 minutes ever, yours and that of the big screen. Definitely in my top 3 best pictures for the past year.

A Star is Born: A good enough film and a fantastic effort from a first-time director. Though it has its shining moments, particularly in the first act, there are glimpses revealing that this is indeed the work of a first time director. I also just found the pacing of the third act problematic, the build-up to the climax was not convincing. At least, for me.

The Favourite: Also, props to the academy for nominating the film. Not my favourite Yorgos Lanthimos picture (currently The Lobster), but the man deserves to be recognised and I'll save all my other praises for the acting categories. I didn't mind your fisheye lenses Yorgos!

Nominations

Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”
Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”
Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite”
Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”
Adam McKay, “Vice”

Best Actress:



Shout Out: Toni Collette's unforgettable performance in Hereditary seemed to have been completely forgotten this season.

Perhaps, voters only remember the sense of dread that Hereditary had imparted. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I still replay certain scenes in my head and then can't fall asleep without the nightlight.

The Scent of Surprises: Loved Yalitza Aparicio's performance 
(in her cinematic debut!!!) in Roma. On a side note, if you enjoyed this Netflix Original, I would recommend checking out The Scent of Green Papaya.

A Royal Somethin': wOOt wOOt, standing O for Olivia Colman. I have yet to watch Glenn Close in The Wife, so I would definitely cast my vote for the tumultuous and overburdened Queen Anne here.

However, I hear that while Glenn has been Close before, she is likely to get there this time. You go Glenn Coco!!!

Nominations

Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”



Best Supporting Actress:


All around Easy As in this category. Yass, good vibes... or should I say good Vice. 


AA+++: I am watching Vice later today, but we already know that the Academy could not give Amy Adams enough awards, let alone nominations. She had arrived with Denis Villeneuve's Arrival, and in the same year kept us up at night with Nocturnal Animals. And yet, not so much as a nod that year. Get yo act together, academy! 

Roma, another Alfonso surprise: Cuarón's earthbound Roma was so beautiful and affecting largely because of the performances of its two leading ladies - Marina de Tavira categorised here as Supporting. Could not be more delighted by these surprises.

Regina King, remember her from A Cinderella Story? Looks like our fairy godmother is finally goin' to the ball. You go ahead, girlfriend. Can't wait to watch this film, when it gets to this godforsaken island, Straya.

Mah bitches, Olivia's words not mine: Rachel Weisz is definitely, maybe one of my favourite actresses. With her perfect diction, poise and... well, just general perfection. Not an unexpected nomination at all, but the newly Oscar-ed Emma Stone still surprised me in this ensemble. She has grown so much and held her own against two English greats.

Nominations

Amy Adams, “Vice”
Marina de Tavira, “Roma”
Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”
Emma Stone, “The Favourite”
Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”


Best Foreign Language Film:


Not usually a category that would make my top five, however, this year's foreign films were the ones that moved me the most. It's so refreshing to see them break through to other key categories as well!

Shoplifters, not a Cannes winner for nothing: In addition to Cold War and Roma, I also saw the Palme d'Or winner Shoplifters.

You are dropped straight into the lives of the titular makeshift family, and it's such tender, authentic storytelling. Feels raw and real. Within the first fifteen minutes, relative to this reality, I really questioned all the indulgences of my everyday life.

And the MTV Awards for Best Trailer goes to... Because of the movies I had watched over Christmas/New Year's at Dendy's, I was shown the Capernaum trailer at least three times. And... I will be watching it. Wait, is MTV still a thing?

THREE Foreign Pictures up for Best Cinematography: Never Look Away, along with Cold War and Roma.

Don't be a Tourist: Never Look Away is directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. Before straying with The Tourist, too bland to even be labelled notorious, the director had actually won an Oscar in this category for The Lives of Others. I'll try to look his way.

Burning, apparently too chilled: The South Korean psychological thriller, starring Walking Dead's Steve Yuen, made the shortlist, but alas was not nominated. It looks chilling and has blazed a trail with critics, so nevertheless a lit choice to add to the list. When it comes to Netflix, you will know what to do. Chills.


Nominations

“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

Updating... Yes, your internet is slow. Do you have NBN as well?

0 comments:

Post a Comment