Saturday, May 10, 2014

Greetings beloved readers,

It has been too long. 

Life is an odd thing, and sometimes I can't help but get in my own way. Neglecting my greatest creative outlet - my one megaphone, however defective - was rather uninspired. 


 'Twas a little childish, no? 

I live to witness art, to be immersed in it and to escape. Everyone has that something which elevates their everything, and for me - above all else - it is Film, but you already knew that!

I always recommend films to people, and they watch them. Well, that's what I'm told, but I do know for certain that these films have, at the very least, been downloaded. Oh, I mean 'acquired'.

Legalities aside, that's exactly what Ericstatic should do. No, I shan't partake in your 'acquisition', how one chooses to watch his/her film is a private matter.

One would rather not take this ride.

Henceforth, I will neatly pack my thoughts and cut-throat watch / run verdict about each film in 100 words.

Let us start with Saving Mr. Banks.

Starring Emma Thompson in the role of P.L. Travers, the author of Mary Poppins, the film follows the beginnings of an unforgettable* sing-along Disney classic. 

... let's go fly kite ...

I cannot begin to tell you how uninterested, no, positively sickened I am at the thought of visiting your dollar-printing machine [DISNEYLAND]. 

That she has a British accent surely helps. 

It’s hard to like Thompson’s Travers, but it’s even more difficult to not love her; a person of constantly oscillating contradictions. The film, too, is an assembly of mismatched jigsaw pieces until it knocks you over, and leaves you in need of an emergent hug.

Ironically, you should watch this alone. The film is whimsical and witty, and Thompson’s Oscar-snubbed performance gives us the grounding gravitas and tough love we so desperately need.

It's a Merry-Go-Round. Period.  

Verdict: Is this even a question? I apologise, I mean ‘watch!

*Up for interpretation


Love y’all. E. 

P.S. Emma Thompson and I have the same initials. Just saying. ET.

0 comments:

Post a Comment